Monday, December 31, 2007

We Do Go Outside Occasionally

Exactly three times tonight, Lilly made fake crying sounds from the bedroom with hopes of an adult rescuing her. From sleep, I guess.

Act I: Mom

"Lilly, why are you crying?"

"It's just not fair that Jackson is still awake and the adults are all playing the Wii while I am just lying here! Why does Jackson get to stay up later?"

I couldn't really tell her that there was in fact, NO REASON that Jackson stayed up later except that Uncle Mark and I were in the middle of a single skull rowing race and I hadn't really noticed that it was 9:30 and Jackson hadn't been tucked in.


But Lilly was gracious.

"Mommy, I forgive you for not letting me stay up as late as Jackson. It's okay."

Act II: Papa

"Lilly, why are you crying?"

"I can't sleep."

Shocker.

"Do you want me to tell you a Bible story?"

"Yes, I want to hear all about when Jesus died."

"Well, Lilly, we told that one last night."

"Ok, then how about when God sent fire and burned up all the idols."

"I'm sure that will soothe you right to sleep, Lilly."

Act III: Grammy

(We hear "crying" again).

(Grammy volunteers to go check out the "problem.")

(Grammy emerges a few minutes later.)

"Lilly says she can't sleep because her butt hurts."

1 comments:

sue.g said...

I cannot begin to comprehend what the 'teenage' years are going to be like. She is one of a kind.