Friday, November 07, 2008

Never Blog About Food When You're Starving

I don't know about y'all, but when the weather dips below 60 I start wearing wool socks, a fur vest, and a hat.

Indoors.

(In my defense, Brad keeps the thermostat around 62 and floats on air for days when we've "risen to the challenge" and lowered the electric bill each month. Nevermind that I slept in a snowsuit and screamed when my buns hit the cold potty in the middle of the night.)

Not to sound whiny, but I am too wimpy to even appreciate chilly.

This is something genetically programmed in me because for as long as I can remember, I've been obsessed with warmth.

The first winter coat I remember picking out by myself (Burlington Coat Factory, anyone?) was a white one with palm trees and the words "Tahiti" all over it.

I'm sure I was a vision and I'm so proud my parents humbled themselves to let me wear something so ridiculous. Although, from what I've pieced together from relatives, "ridiculous" was the wardrobe theme.

(Whatever.)

Flamingos are my favorite animal. Flip-flops are my favorite foot wear.

So Winter and I? We have a problem.

That is, except for one major category. FOOD.

(You know what they say about summer: If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.)

If it wasn't for winter, I would never eat chili. Don't know about you, but after a long day at the pool, nothing in me wants to come home and saddle up to a big steaming bowl of spicy beans.

With all this rambling about changing seasons and possible snow in Colorado, I fire up the crockpot for a Weekend Chili Extravaganza.

Queso (chili's South-of-the Border cousin) is also a crockpot companion, which is why it's important to have two slow cookers on hand. 

Plus, there are some big football games to be played this weekend. Without the lean, mean fuel of fake cheese and processed meat, how can one have the energy to cheer for Texas Tech?

I know we all have favorite chili recipes, and even though I have mine, I still like to experiment from time to time.

There's a hidden fear that if one recipe is truly great and I haven't tried it, I might be missing out.

But you know what? I come back to Old Faithful every single time.

The recipe is basic, easy, and just plain delicious.  The toppings are endless and you can't mess it up.

I was thinking of posting my queso recipe, but there are no less than FOUR in my stack, so maybe I'll save those for another day.

Old Faithful Chili

1 lb. ground beef
1 chopped onion
garlic (however much you like)
1 lb. diced tomatoes
1 lb. hot chili beans (I like Bush's and they make mild or medium for the tender of tongue)
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 t. salt
dash of pepper
2-4 T. of chili powder (I go for 4 and make them heaping)

Brown meat with onion and garlic. Drain off grease. Combine meat and rest of ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Top with Fritos, tomatoes, sour cream, jalapenos, cheese, green chiles, or Almond Joy.

Serve with a side of mittens and football. YUM.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Meg said...

as much as i love a good almond joy, i don't think i could combine it with chilli...but then, one never can tell.

unfortunately, brian found my stash last night...

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Chili is my favorite cold weather food! I have been guilty of wearing my gloves indoors too ;)

Holly said...

didnt you get your parka out in August?

Kathryn said...

Your chili recipe looks so good, coley. Unfortunately I can't make it because it is so darn hot here still. Who wants to saddle up to a piping hot bowl of chili after an 80 degree day, as you say? Cheers to winter! Katie H